There's no time like summertime. And there's no better time to enjoy it than the long Independence Day holiday weekend. By the fourth of July, even chillier areas of the country are warming up so it feels like summer everywhere.
So get outside and catch summer while you can. Here are 10 things you can do wherever you are and whatever you're doing to enjoy a bit of summer.
1) Free your feet. Take off your shoes and walk in the grass. Feel the heat from the earth and let the blades tickle your toes. There are months where your feet are confined within socks and shoes. July shouldn't be one of them.
2) Get wet. Run through a sprinkler or turn on a hose. On the warmest days, there's nothing that elicits giggles like the sudden spray of a sprinkler or garden hose.
3) Eat fruit. June is for strawberries, July for blueberries, and August for peaches. Eat them while they're still warm from the vine, bush, tree, or from a farmstand.
4) Make your own iced tea. Not the rushed, watered down stuff you get in restaurants. Make a batch of sun tea or brew your own with enough bags so the tea stands up to the ice.
5) Eat lunch outside. Even your brown bag lunch eaten on a curb qualifies as a picnic.
6) Listen up. Many communities have free outdoor concerts in the summer time. Grab a lawn chair or blanket and get outside and enjoy some music and community. In West Michigan, check out Blues on the Mall in Grand Rapids or Blues on the River in Rockford.
7) Splurge on a cone. Not a cup, a cone. Wrap it in a napkin, although you know it'll soon melt all over your hand.
8) Grill something. Everything tastes better cooked over coals. It doesn't matter whether it's a humble hot dog or a delectable Delmonico, it'll be worth the time.
9) Seek water. Find a lake, pond, river, or other tributary. Wade in or go for a swim.
10) Open the windows. In many parts of the country, we're trapped inside most of the year. Even on the hottest days, open your windows a bit and let the warm fresh air in.
Oh yes, and if you're outside, wear sunscreen.
See how many of these you can do over the long Independence Day weekend. And remember, Amway's U.S. offices will be closed for the holiday on Friday, July 3 and Monday, July 6. We'll be back open for business on Tuesday the 7th.