In 24 countries and from 26,000 people, Amway recently sought opinions on the attitudes, concerns and desires of would-be entrepreneurs.
Titled the 2013 Amway Global Entrepreneurship Report, the study provides an up-to-date view on self-employment potential and obstacles hindering entrepreneurial activities in Australia, Austria, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the United States.
The good news:
- More than two-thirds of respondents (70%) have a positive attitude toward entrepreneurship, a 1% increase over 2012 data. Even more encouraging? Nearly half of them can imagine starting their own businesses.
- Respondents from Denmark have the most positive attitude toward self-employment (89%). Finland follows with 87% and the Netherlands rounds out the top three most positive countries.
The rest of the story:
- We found that 65% of would-be entrepreneurs were motivated by the desire to be independent. People want to control their time and their futures. They want to set their own hours, goals and priorities — be their own boss.
- For years now, our study has shown that fear of failure is the biggest obstacle to becoming self-employed. The fear to fail has lead to the gap between the number of people who can imagine starting their own businesses and the number who actually go for it.
- We believe it’s urgent to support the activation of potential entrepreneurs by jointly raising awareness, encouraging further debate and doing anything we can to negate fears.
Amway offers a unique business opportunity and we take seriously our responsibility to engage in the public discussion on entrepreneurship. The Amway Global Entrepreneurship Report is one way we do that. It provides decision-makers in the realm of politics, economics and education with real data to inform actions that encourage the foundation of new businesses.
After all, the more entrepreneurs, the merrier!
Here’s a bright note that doesn’t often make reports on employment conditions in the UK: self-employment is at an all-time high of 4.16 million.
Direct selling is part of that growth, with nearly 400,000 people working in the industry – and contributing £390 million annually to the UK economy. Just this year, Amway UK has seen 26 percent more people signing up to start an Amway business.
Direct selling often is called recession-proof, offering an income opportunity even in tough economic times. It also appeals to budding entrepreneurs, and to those looking for a flexible second income option that works around other commitments.
New shopping concepts are attracting more people to direct selling as a convenient shopping solution, too. Amway UK is pioneering a new kind of sophisticated retail experience at its refurbished London Flagship Experience Centre, where consumers can try products before they buy.
Such innovations help Amway business owners grow their businesses…a bright note all its own.
Our guest blogger is Pam Hunt.
In just 30 days, more than 1,100 European Amway employees and business owners participated in 11 of the world’s most popular outdoor events and fundraisers with the help of Team Nutrilite Europe.
That’s quite an achievement. And it’s proof that Team Nutrilite athletes recognize the importance of optimal health and being good global citizens.
Team triumphs included:
- The 24-hour Mountain Bike Race: One of 500 teams competing, Team Nutrilite finished 6th in Munich.
- Kiev International Marathon: ABO (Amway business owner) Ludmila Shelest won 1st place in the women’s category.
- Naisten Kymppi 10k: Our ABOs dressed up as vegetables, won 1st prize and donated 16,320 EUR to UNICEF to support girls’ education in Nepal.
- Presse-Meile: Amway Europe sponsored this running event in Geggendorf, Germany, for 3,000 participants.
In just one month Team Nutrilite members achieved personal fitness success, raised money for charities, and took part in food education classes. Imagine what they can accomplish in a year!
Recent Artistry events during the London and New York Fashion Weeks put our brand in very fashionable company.
Amway U.K. hosted an Inspiring Diversity Fashion Show at the Amway Experience Center to showcase up-and-coming designers and raise funds for One by One Campaign charities.
In New York, the Amway North America Artistry Lounge offered fashion and beauty writers a place to relax and recharge while exploring Artistry skin care and cosmetics.
We definitely consider these ”runway successes” for Artistry.